WQLN FAMILIES is an educational multimedia project that combines television viewing (PBS programs) with books and hands on activities and...
- Actively involves parents, teachers, students and community members.
- Provides an opportunity for public television to connect families to educational opportunities, resources, social networks, and services.
- Reaches out to children of varying backgrounds in an exciting way.
- Supplies parents with information about child development.
- Emphasizes the importance of phonemic awareness.
- Encourages active learning in the home.
- Provides activities and tips for parents to learn how to work with their child to develop early literacy skills and concepts.
- Rewards families when they complete the entire workshop series.
- Empowers families to make changes necessary to improve the education of their children.
- Helps to form positive relationships between children, parents, educators and community partners.
- Supports teachers with standards-based curriculum and in-class lessons.
- Engages children and parents with guest speakers from the community.
- Makes connections between life at school, home, the workplace and the community.
- Supplies free books for each participating family!
WQLN FAMILIES extends the mission of all WQLN programs to enhance the quality of life by supporting literacy, learning, and social and emotional development.